[mythtv-users] Hauppauge Lirc setup and new mythtv install

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Sep 12 03:20:40 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Brian White <bjwhite at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> I am attempting to get Lirc working on a "new" machine running Fedora 13
> with kernel 2.6.33.    The machine is a second frontend at the TV in front
> of our treadmill, and I'm trying to get it ready for the fall season.     I
> have an old Hauppauge PVR-150 installed for the sole purpose of using it's
> IR capabilities.   All video is being drawn from my main backend server
> upstairs.
>
> I have downloaded 0.8.7, compiled, and installed LIRC, having read that
> there are issues with the latest kernels I wanted to be sure to have the
> latest.

There's some combination of kernel and lirc userspace that was broken,
but the latest kernel + lirc package combo is known to be perfectly
functional.

> On boot, the card loads fine with IVTV and the firmware is located and
> installed.
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf:
> #lirc_module_configuration
> alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c

This does nothing, and its also wrong (lirc uses a miscdev dynamic major now).

> /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
> # /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
> #
> # Arguments which will be used when launching lircd
> LIRCD_ARGS=" -d /dev/lirc0"
>
> #Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
> START_LIRCMD=false
>
> #Try to load appropriate kernel modules
> LOAD_MODULES=true
>
> # Run "lircd --driver=help" for a list of supported drivers.
> DRIVER=""
> # If DEVICE is set to /dev/lirc and devfs is in use /dev/lirc/0 will be
> # automatically used instead
> DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
> MODULES=""

Where did you get a hardware.conf from? And what initscript are you
using? (your hardware.conf there says to use device lirc0 2x, btw).

> On a fresh reboot,   lsmod | grep lirc   yields no modules loaded
> dmesg | grep lirc  gives no result
>
>  Nothing in /var/log/messages   about lirc either

Dunno what initscript you're using, but the Fedora lirc initscript has
no support for LOAD_MODULES. Plus, you didn't say *what* modules to
load.

> I go ahead and manually load module
>
> modprobe lirc_i2c
> OK
>
> One line added to /var/log/messages:
> kernel: lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 249

lirc_i2c didn't bind to your card's receiver.

> Is there a patch I need to get this working on 2.6.33?   My understanding
> was that the 0.8.7 was all patched up for the newer kernels.    Would I be
> better of downloading the latest vanilla kernel from kernel.org, since the
> IR drivers are now rolled into the kernel (is that true?)

They're in 2.6.36, yes, but unless you really know what you're doing,
please don't go that route. Get the latest Fedora 13 kernel and lirc
userspace first. The latest kernel is a 2.6.34.x-based one, and the
lirc package is 0.8.6-based. They're known good, and have relatively
up-to-date lirc_i2c in them. (I can't think of anything newer that
went into the upstream version). Your biggest issue is lirc_i2c not
binding here though, so that's definitely the first order of business.
You could also try building lirc_i2c from the lirc 0.8.7 tarball and
see if that works, there's definitely nothing newer than that at the
moment. (There were some upstream i2c changes that may be the cause of
things not working. I thought we compensated for them in recent
lirc_i2c, but maybe we didn't get all of them).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com