[mythtv-users] Frontend exits on DVD insert

malcolm malcolm.torrent at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 08:50:56 UTC 2010

On 12/09/10 05:32, Erik Mellquist wrote:

> The DVD seems to be mounting just fine, and I am able to play it using
> VLC.  Any advice would be appreciated.

I've just tried tried playing a DVD on mythbuntu 32Bit, 10.04, myth
v0.23, FE, my results aren't the same but are equally unsatisfactory.
I'm in region 2. I've previously set my DRM on the internal DVD drive to
region 2.

Of the 7 DVD tested ( 5 region 0 (universal), 2 region 2), I get one of
these depending on which DVD I try.
1. DVD mounts, on playback something seems to happen (menu disappear),
but playback fails and bounces back to the CD/DVD menu.
2. DVD mounts but screen goes black when attempt to playback, can eject
the DVD but recovery requires a reboot.
3. DVD mounts, plays intro / copywright, screen goes black (goto 2)
4. DVD mounts, plays the copyright notice and I get the outline of an
icon highlight but nothing else. If I select the default to play, the
screen goes blank and appears to lock up. (no DVD spinning etc).
I see the receiver flash but the remote does nothing for FWD REV etc.
I can eject the DVD via the button on the front of the box and the
screen returns to the CD/DVD menu.

I think the black screen is just a failure to re-render the myth CD/DVD
menu as I can shutdown the machine but pressing the correct remote keys
to back out of myth.

VLC also fails to play reporting an unable to open file error. When run
from the CLI the terminal reports an error with libdvdread 'check value
failed'.

All my DVDs are genuine so I shouldn't have an CSS issues.