[mythtv-users] Video card hell. Need help.

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 22:38:02 UTC 2010

Update:

After barking up half the trees in the forest...

It's starting to look like maybe my system has a race condition
between udev and gdm upstart services.

I finally got to where I could consistently get dropped into an Xorg
failsafe dialog.  The log I could review consistently reported finding
both video devices with messages that start "(--) PCI: (n:n:n:n)
####:####:####:####" followed by a description of the video device.

Further on, there are numerous pairs of entries that start
"drmOpenDevice:" and "drmOpenByBusid:" where X is apparently trying to
find the video device and check with drmOpenMinor for a display
device.

Once this search fails the obligatory 5 times, I get dropped into the
failsafe dialog.  If I simply choose the option to restart X,
everything starts up fine (on a CRT monitor it is configured to go to
at the moment).

If someone can tell me how to get this to work without human
intervention, maybe I can figure out how to progress from there to
using the TV-Out instead of the VGA output.

Anyone?

Craig.