[mythtv-users] What's the best Linux variant to use for a full wipe and reload?

Michael Jones mythtv at michaelandholly.com
Sun Sep 12 23:28:23 UTC 2010

I'm currently planning a full wipe and reload of my main MythTV backend (no
frontend on this box) while Preserving my current recordings and database.
I and would like some advice/insights on changing (or not) the strategy I've
been using for several years (since .16 or .17 if I recall).

I'm currently running a Dual Xeon 2.4 under FC 8 and .21-fixes.  The system
has  1TB of recording space, 1TB for Videos, and a couple other 1TB & 1.5TB
Drives for general network storage.  I have 2 frontends running in other
rooms - but may be adding a 3rd sometime in the near future.   The system
currently houses 2 standard cable tuner cards (Hauppauge 150 and a 250).
Channel changing is done with a 2 port IR blaster (the one that came with
the Microsoft USB IR system) to the 2 small digital converters from the
cable company.  The system is running well, and we've been happy with it -
but now it's getting old and out-dated.

I have been running Fedora for many years and am very used to the OS (I have
a couple of other systems running FC12), but would be willing to change if
there's good reason to do so.  I've always installed everything (myth and
otherwise) from pre-compiled binaries and would prefer to continue doing so,
again.. unless there's good reason to do otherwise.

What is the popular OS now for a primary backend?   Is there  a better/more
supported OS to build this system on?

Any recommendations, insights, suggestions, otherwise would be appreciated.
I'd like to do this in the best "forward-looking" way possible.

Michael

Auburn, WA