[mythtv-users] TiVo Slide Remote, Linux and Scan Codes

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Sep 13 01:29:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 2:33 AM, Wayne Thomas <waynethomas69 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> successfully paired and connected. When it goes to sleep, it
>> disconnects and the device disappears. I'd neglected to consider that
>> when suggesting lirc might be usable with it... lircd is okay with
>> /dev/lircX devices coming and going, notsomuch with devinput devices,
>
> I didn't realise that; one possible workaround is to use upstart to
> stop lircd when the device disappears and start it again when it
> appears.

Or, fix lircd to be okay with the device not always being there, like
is the case with /dev/lircX. :)

> I haven't played with upstart much so don't know the exact
> event type used (mounted?) but that is part of what it is supposed to
> do.  It would need to stop and start irexec and irxevnet if you use
> them too.

Yeah, ew. Plenty of people don't use upstart, so not really the best solution.

> I would also recommend using /dev/input/by-id/*** since the
> actual event number is going to change on a regular basis.  Does udev
> create a by-id link for this remote?

It does, and I always use by-id links myself.

>> Another big gotcha is that if you're snarfing all the keys
>> up in lirc, the keyboard no longer works like a plain keyboard,
>> everything has to go through lircd (I believe).
>
> Ouch, I had assumed (wrongly) that this was like so many other HID
> remotes that use two seperate devices.  One possilbe solution (but
> slightly labour intensive) would be to make the worlds biggest
> ~/lircrc for every single key with something like the below example
> for each one:
>
> begin
>        prog = irxevent
>        button = KEY_A
>        config = Key A Focus
> end

Probably an okay-ish work-around. You could always halt lircd if
necessary to get back normal keyboard function too.

> Provided you don't intend on trying to use the remote as a keyboard
> for everything this could be made into a functional solution.  I'm not
> sure how it would deal with key combinations like CTRL+L but I'm sure
> you could get it doing everything you need (although probably not that
> elegant) for MythTV.

Well, the keyboard has no ctrl or alt or any modifier keys, except for
shift and symbol, so you're already hosed on that front.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com