[mythtv-users] HDTV Tuner Cards - Please catch me up a few years

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 01:40:46 UTC 2010

> It also only mentions Windows. I did not see a single mention of linux
> support for the cable card tuner.

I believe that is because the primary audience for the device
is expected to be people who are running Windows Media
Center and who expect to be able to take advantage of
the card to acquire protected content (i.e. premium channels),
and the DRM requirements means, essentially, Windows (only(*)).

There is every expectation that Linux will be able to
use the device for "unprotected" content (copy freely),
although what particular content that will be will be
cable provider dependent(**).  Once you consider adding
all the caveats for non-Windows, it seems clear that
SiliconDust marketing would not want to place the
suggestion of limitations anywhere on their pages and
scare away the potential buyers.

(*) Cablelabs certification for "software" platforms
    is currently Windows only as far as I am aware.
    Of course, there are the tivos, and STBs from
    your cable company that also have certification,
    but not general purpose computing platforms.

(**) And, from numerous reports, sometimes even
    varies by region from the same provider.