[mythtv-users] Video card hell. Need help.

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 02:11:36 UTC 2010

Sorry, didn't notice until after I hit send this wasn't going to the list.

You're right.  I don't think I mentioned my distro.  I'm running
MythBuntu 10.04.

The driver is the latest package (which was installed with MythBuntu).
 I've tried reinstalling, but that didn't change anything.

Another update item:  It seems I'm trying to solve two problems.  The
problem about drm failing to open a device appears to be a common
failing if nouveau driver components get out of sync.  Not what I
really want to solve anyway.

For some reason, when I specify the nvidia driver in xorg.conf, even
one built using nvidia-xconfig, any attempt to boot will lock up even
before any log file entries get posted to /var/log/*.  I have to pull
out a live CD linux image to get into the disk.  I'm getting real
tired of having to resort to the MythBuntu 10.04 live/install CD (and
often even going back to the MythBuntu 9.04 live/install CD since the
10.04 has a bad habit of trying to display standard VGA modes to the
TV-Out and ignore the connected VGA monitor).

I'm just about ready to pitch out this practically new motherboard and
this motherboard on anyone else and B) at least want the satisfaction
of ***DESTROYING*** it myself.  I'm that frustrated.  Especially since
I A) had it working with a GeForce 8400 (albeit with jerky video play)
and B) momentarily had it working about eight hours ago until I
rebooted.

Sigh.  Ain't linux wonderful?

Craig.