[mythtv-users] What's the best Linux variant to use for a full wipe and reload?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Sep 13 03:37:01 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Michael Jones
<mythtv at michaelandholly.com> wrote:
>> Michael
>>
>> I'm running .23 fixes on a Fedora 13 x64 backend and numerous Fedora
>> 13 frontends.  The backend has 4 physical DVB-T tuners and 3 physical
>> DVB-S(2) tuners, these are all configured for multirec.  I'm getting
>> myth from the rpmfusion repos, the frontends are a combination of
>> dedicated HTPC systems connected to 5.1 surround sound amps through to
>> laptops to kids use in their bedrooms.  I've found over the last 18
>> months that both F13 and the rpmfusion version of myth have become
>> very stable and painless to upgrade.  An OS and myth upgrade cycle can
>> now be done in about 6-7 hours for 6 machines and the whole system can
>> be back operational.
>>
>> Unless there's a very persuasive reason to change I couldn't imagine
>> me going a different way now.
>> ____________________________________
>
> That's the direction that I'm headed right now.   I'll probably go with FC12
> since I'm very familiar with it.

Fedora 12 reaches end-of-life in less than four months. There's really
no huge difference between it and Fedora 13 if you're starting from
scratch, other than an extra six months before it goes EOL. (Or, wait
another month and a half, and roll out Fedora 14 instead, and have a
whole 13 more months before EOL).

Then there's always a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 clone, which is bound
to show up not terribly long after RHEL6 is released[*]. RHEL6 is
actually what I'm going to be putting on my own master backend here
whenever I get around to it (web/git/rsync server already running
RHEL6 right now). Then you have 7-10 years before EOL. :)

[*] "Formal product schedules have not been made public, but our
guidance is within this calendar year" -- Tim Burke, Red Hat VP of
Platform Engineering, in various articles on the web.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com