[mythtv-users] What's the best Linux variant to use for a full wipe and reload?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Sep 13 04:51:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:15 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Glen Hawksworth
> <glenhawk at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>> ...and roll out Fedora 14 instead, and have a
>>> whole 13 more months before EOL).
>>>
>>> Then there's always a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 clone...
>>> ...Then you have 7-10 years before EOL. :)
>>>

>> **Stands up and yells from the back**
>>
>> ...there is also Ubuntu 10.04LTS which is still good for another 2.5
>> years
>>
>> **gets stuff thrown at him by the other distro users so sits back down**

Well, earlier discussion was "what distro to use" and sane people
suggested "whatever you're most comfortable with" and he said
"Fedora". So I was going with Fedora and derivates. Sure, yes, there's
also Ubuntu LTS, and that would have been the suggestion had he said
Ubuntu was what he was most comfortable with (though it might have
been made by someone like yourself (Glen), instead of me, since I'm
not an Ubuntu user).

> Should I mention gentoo which has no expiration date. I would expect
> to get even more thrown at me..

I'm not even sure what to reply to that. :) In my eyes, running Gentoo
is really not much different than constantly upgrading to the latest
Ubuntu|Fedora|SUSE|whatever release, which is very very different from
running Ubuntu LTS, let alone RHEL.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com