[mythtv-users] What's the best Linux variant to use for a full wipe and reload?

pnetherwood at email.com pnetherwood at email.com
Mon Sep 13 11:21:59 UTC 2010

> Fedora 12 reaches end-of-life in less than four months. There's really
> no huge difference between it and Fedora 13 if you're starting from
> scratch, other than an extra six months before it goes EOL. (Or, wait
> another month and a half, and roll out Fedora 14 instead, and have a
> whole 13 more months before EOL).

The main problem I had with Fedora is that because they rollout a new
version every 6 months the package maintainers tend to only support two
versions. So it doesn't take long before you can't update to the latest
MythTV on an older version of Fedora.  Also, if you leave it too long
then you're having to upgrade multiple versions because you have to go
though each version in turn. Although YUM upgrades work for most,
Fedora still recommend you do it via the DVD. I found that was all too
much for me and keeping up to date became a bit of a headache. The last
upgrade I went for a new install of Mythbuntu and have recently done an
online upgrade with apt-get with no problems. I also like the idea of
the Long Term Stable (LTS) releases in Ubuntu. If you go with Fedora
you're best off upgrading with each new version so make sure you don't
get too far behind. I found Ubuntu to be a little more friendly to the
slower or infrequent upgraders such as myself.

I was concerned about ditching Fedora since I was very familiar with
it. In fact it took no time at all to get used to Ubuntu. Although
sticking with what you know is sound advice, don't be afraid to switch
distros if it gives you what you want.

Paul