[mythtv-users] OT: RAID rebuild with the wrong partition

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Mon Sep 13 12:34:35 UTC 2010

On 09/12/2010 10:49 AM, John Drescher wrote:
>> Hmmm...on second read of your message, it sounds like you've already managed
>> to get the arrays back together again with the right members, and now you're
>> just deailing with the filesystem.  Doing an XFS repair from a live CD seems
>> logical, although I'm afraid that if the md3 array was already re-built and
>> synced with an incorrect member, the damage may already be done, and you may
>> have to restore from backups, depending on how bad it is.
>
> I am still confused how this could possibly happen. I mean syncing for
> a raid 1 would be choosing 1 of the array members and copying all of
> the data to the other member. If the source was a disk in the raid6
> array then md3 would be totally unreadable. If the source was from the
> original array then no corruption would occur.

Maybe the file system corruption came from the IO issues he mentions he
first had.

I suppose it's possible that if you had some IO issues and corruption
ensued, that part of that corruption could mean somehow messing up the
RAID configuration information, but I think that is statistically
impossible, as, if I understand correctly, the UUID of the "wrong"
partition would have to be modified in such a way as to match UUID of
the right partition, and the right (correct) partition sdb3 would need
to have it's UUID corrupted to something other than it's correct value.

Then, you reboot the system, and the RAID software tries to re-build
with the "wrong" partition.

Yeah, I'm grasping at straws. :-)