[mythtv-users] Activating TV out o0n Matrox G400

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 15:17:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 10:32, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Monday, September 13, 2010 08:15:31 am Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On 11 September 2010 08:05, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
>> > I see that this card is very well supported on mythtv and I'm hoping to
>> > activate it's s-video out port.
>>
>> supported 20 years ago maybe :)
>
> Oh come on, the card was released in 1999, and can still be purchased today for $29 (with a whopping 16MB of RAM).
>
> Granted it's not the latest and greatest technology, but it's certainly not unreasonable to want to get it to work today.

I have a Millennium G450 (very similar to the G400) which I have been
very happy with since 2001. I was, personally, never able to get
TV-out to work on it (under Linux). Although it has been many years
since I tried.

In Windows the TV-out worked perfectly for playing DVDs, etc. But
under Linux there seemed to be a limitation of having TV-out *or*
having accelerated video (xv). Not both (not sure why it worked on
Windows but not Linux). Perhaps things have improved since then, I
dunno.

I still have my G450 in an Athlon 1.33 GHz, driving two monitors; a
19" CRT at 1600x1200 and a 15" LCD at 1280x1024. Still works quite
well, although the machine is getting a little long in the tooth...

aaron