[mythtv-users] OT: Google - big brother? or I going mad?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 14 13:41:18 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, September 14, 2010 07:35:03 am mike at grounded.net wrote:
> >> Basically, I'm not trying to preach the google is bad. They just make me
> >> feel very uncomfortable but I'm doubting myself. What are your thoughts?
>
> For YEARS, I've been warning people about the things they are doing online,
> the social sites, especially through companies like google and others,
> facebook, etc. How do such companies get so fantastically huge so fast,
> profiling, of course, and
>
> Look at what's happening now with services such as mylife, it's the perfect
> example of pulling all of the missing pieces together. These new sites
> seem to pillage the biggest social sites out there building profiles on
> individuals, gathering up little bits here, there, all over the net. Then
> when you sign up, the user doesn't even realize that they are basically
> confirming their information and correlating more of it for that site,
> which now can turn around and re-sell even more accurate information about
> you.
>
> It's incredible what is going on, it's not paranoia, it's people not being
> aware of the bigger picture that will eventually come back to bite them.

There was a story on CNN yesterday about some burglary ring that found victim's houses to be empty because they had
announced their vacation plans on public Facebook pages.

Of course IMHO those "victims" got what they deserved for being stupid, but housebreaking is still a crime, even if
perpetrated against idiots.

Then there are the female real estate agents who publish "glamor" photos in the papers, then arrange to meet total
strangers in empty houses. Not very smart.