[mythtv-users] New Sandy Bridge Chips......Intel on chip GPU capable of VDPAU performance?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:58:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 7:02 AM, mike <mikpolniak at roadrunner.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 02:46:10 +0100
> Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> The new Intel Sandy Bridge chips were announced today that will
>> include up to 8 processors (mid next year) and Hyperthreading so 16
>> virtual processors.
>>
>> They also include a new on chip GPU.
>>
> I recently switched from Nvidia graphics to Intel Core i3-530 CPU with
> integrated graphics. In my combined backend-frontend this easily
> records 4 HD streams while simultaneously commflagging all 4 HD streams
> and watching video.
>
> For mythtv the Intel integrated graphics performs just as good as my
> Nvidia 9500 graphics card with or without vdpau. Plus you have a low
> wattage, powerfull 2.92Ghz dual-core (4-threads) cpu for
> about $100.
>
> Sandy Bridge has cpu and graphics on single 32nm single die (65
> watts TDP) while the i3-530 Clarkdale has 2 dies: 32nm cpu  alongside
> 45nm graphics processor (73 watts TDP).
>
> As far as my mythtv backend-frontend usage, Sandy Bridge will use a
> few watts less but probably cost more and perform the same.
>
> Now you will be able to get more powerfull and expensive Sandy Bridge
> processors if you find a need greater than my mythtv backend-frontend.

I'm currently using a Core i5-661 which is 2 cores+hyperthreading
integrated with graphics. It's worked pretty well most of the time but
I've found the graphics side to be temperamental probably due to the
Intel video driver. I can pretty easily make X completely crash
dropping back to my gdm login screen. I do not use this machine for
Myth so I cannot say anything about that but it runs NetFlix fine in
Windows native or in VMWare under Linux.

Still, I've been pretty impressed with the processing power and
strictly speaking this is a Linux issue because the machine is very
stable in Windows so I'm sure it will get worked out _someday_.

The machine has 3 hard drives and two monitors and only draws about
150W running KDE.

 - Mark