[mythtv-users] OT: Google - big brother? or I going mad?

bhaskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Tue Sep 14 15:27:15 UTC 2010

mike at grounded.net wrote:
>>  Actually, signing up for credit cards, insurance, a mortgage, even
>>  gmail explicitly _does_ give them certain rights to your data, and if
>>

> Of course, these are given facts when doing business online, I don't believe anyone is talking about such things. I believe everyone is talking about more personal things, that seem innocent enough but in reality, are more about profiling than giving you anything for free.
>

>>  And that's really the source of my "worst case scenario" question.
>>  What, indeed, is going on?  There's lots of vague extrapolation being
>>  thrown about along with an insistence that it's not paranoia.
>>

> I'm glad to see that you Jason, are one of the FEW who isn't worried :).
> Fact is, most should be *aware*, not paranoid, which is why the word is being used.
>

>>  careful with my data, but I figure I'll do better shredding my credit
>>  card statements than avoiding google.
>>

> It's almost a sure thing that google for one, knows way more about you than you'd like.
>
> Think about the things they have done by the way, early on, taking over and archiving all of usenet for example, you've got the way back machine to look back at almost any web domain that's ever been online, don't they own youtube and countless other social sites too?
>
> Anyways, this is a topic that people should talk about, it's too bad it started as an off topic question of course. This by the way, isn't a google only problem, MANY other companies want to get, sell and trade your personal life details.

I think that any google problem just pales in comparison to this:

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/09/12/3020465/comcast-nbc-merger-is-about-money.html

Now, ask yourself, do you read about this in your local newspaper or
hear anything!
about it on the local news?
No!... why?
Yes, this is way OT but it should be being talked about somewhere.