[mythtv-users] Mythweb "Unable to connect to the master backend"

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Sep 14 16:35:30 UTC 2010

Mark Adams wrote:
> On 09/14/2010 09:33 AM, Mark Adams wrote:
>> Okay, I have mythweb and mythfrontend running on my primary server
>> which is open to the Internet. I can see that port 6543 is open on my
>> network and forwarded to the mythbackend running on my htpc (which is
>> not the primary server facing the Internet).
>>
>> Trouble is, when I point my browser to http://<my.domain>/mythweb, I get:
>>

>>     Error
>>
>> Unable to connect to the master backend at 127.0.0.1:6543 (hostname:
>> pvr).
>> Is it running?
>>
>> I get this whether I'm forwarding that port on my router or not.  I
>> have configured mythtv-setup's backend settings and mythfrontend's
>> setup both to point to the backend on my htpc.  I've tried it by
>> hostname and by IP address (I can connect from the server to the htpc
>> just fine by either hostname or IP).
>>
>> Now, unless I'm missing something, the master backend address in the
>> error above should be showing the ip address of the htpc and not the
>> loopback address of anything.  The master backend on the htpc is
>> running btw.  I can connect to mythweb running on the htpc from within
>> my lan just fine.  I want to be able to connect to mythweb running on
>> the server from the Internet.
>>
>> And here's a funky piece of information that confuses me more.  If I
>> forward port 6543 on my router to my htpc, a port scan on my domain
>> shows that port open.
>>
>>> nmap my.domain
>>>
>>> Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-09-14 09:27 MDT
>>> Interesting ports on xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.albq.qwest.net (xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx):
>>> Not shown: 995 closed ports
>>> PORT     STATE    SERVICE
>>> xxx/tcp   open     xxxxxx
>>> xxx/tcp   open     xxxxxx
>>> xxx/tcp   open     xxxxxx
>>> 6543/tcp open     mythtv
>>
>> If I forward that port to my web server, it does not show up in a
>> basic port scan:
>>
>>> # nmap my.domain
>>>
>>> Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-09-14 09:27 MDT
>>> Interesting ports on xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.albq.qwest.net (xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx):
>>> Not shown: 996 closed ports
>>> PORT     STATE    SERVICE
>>> xxx/tcp   open     xxxxxx
>>> xxx/tcp   open     xxxxxx
>>> xxx/tcp   open     xxxxxx
>>
>> Those scan are all taken with firewalls down.
>>
>> Does this look familiar to anybody?
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Mark
>>
> Okay, I just read my own post and it appears that when I forward the
> port to my server, it is one of 996 closed ports. I have no idea how to
> open that port up. Again, no firewall and iptables on the server is
> stopped.

Remember, a browser wants to look at port 80 unless you specify otherwise. Your
web server is probably serving to port 80.

I would strongly suggest that you *don't* expose port 80 to the Internet. Choose
some random port and have your firewall/router forward to 80 internally.
Otherwise every man and his dog will be trying to attack your web server.

It also sounds as though your firewall/router doesn't have name resolution for
the hosts on your internal network. You either need to add these hosts via
/etc/hosts (or whatever) or use the GUI to add them as static entries.

--

Mike Perkins