[mythtv-users] HDCP Key out?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 20:39:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> The IPTV example I gave uses BR discs as source, so your response suggests
> it could apply and to me gives no reason it couldn't apply.

IPTV is still muxed in the traditional fashion, just as with any other
transmission method-- ie, it requires a raw, unencrypted source, which
is then transmitted via multicast, and the recipient needs to be
capable of decrypting the material.  The ICT is a part of AACS.  There
is no such thing as an AACS broadcast set top box.  Therefore, there
is no such thing as transmitting AACS content, nor the ICT.  The ICT
*is not an MPEG stream flag*.  It can't be simply passed through in
the absence of the encryption method of which it is a part.  The
broadcaster would need to scrap their traditional methods of
encryption and adopt AACS as their encryption method to even think of
using the ICT in any fashion.  Not only has this not happened, it is
enormously unlikely that it *will* ever happen.  It is far, far easier
to simply disable the analog outputs without having the replace all of
your hardware on both the headend and client side.

To summarize:  Using a Blu-ray disc as the source for an IPTV stream
would still require the decryption of that disc for transmission, and
the ICT would be lost as soon as the disc is decrypted.  You can't
selectively pass through the ICT, as the ICT isn't just some yes/no
flag.  It's a part of the decryption process.  There's no such thing
as an AAC STB, so even if you forgo all of the previous, there exists
no hardware that could handle it.  The supposition is broken all
around.

Robert