[mythtv-users] Wireless FE Stumbles and locks up -- fix?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Sep 15 00:42:39 UTC 2010

  On 9/14/2010 20:33, Craig Huff wrote:
> I have a remote frontend in the bedroom to which it would be
> inconvenient (low WAF) to run ethernet cable, so I set it up with
> 802.11g wifi.  This should be good enough since the output is SD via
> TV-Out to a (slightly) old TV set.

Output resolution is COMPLETELY irrelevant.  If the content is HD ATSC,
you're going to need 14-18mbps whether you're outputting to an old tube,
or a new 1080p set.

> FWIW, the wifi setup is a Netgear N300 802.11n V2.0 router about 20
> feet away from the frontend, on the same floor, and the frontend has a
> D-Link WDA-2320 802.11g PCI adapter installed.

If you have other devices running on the 2.4GHz band, like microwaves,
cordless phones, baby monitors, similar equipment for several houses
surrounding you, other wireless networks, you will have interference,
and the network will occasionally drop.  5GHz A or N gear will do better
in this regard, but there is no substitute for a wired network.