[mythtv-users] OT: Google - big brother? or I going mad?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 15 15:59:30 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 15 September 2010 09:51:54 mike at grounded.net wrote:
> >> But it makes me very uneasy to take advantage of all these "free"
> >> services, anything "free" usually turns out to be worth
> >> the cost, or to actually cost   much more in the end.
> >
>> > Kinda funny reading that on a mailinglist meant for discussing a free
> > software product :)
>
> Actually, he's got one heck of a point. I've been using Linux since 1991
> and open source projects in countless networking setups. In networking, the
> costs saved are absolutely incredible while on projects like this, simply
> buying something that works right out of the box DOES save a TON of time
> and money.
>
> I don't even have a fully working box yet and I've already spent enough
> that I could have bought a top of the line purpose built box that would
> have been working since day one. All I have to show at the moment is a lot
> of money spent, an even larger amount of time spent and still nothing fully
> working.
>
> He's got a VERY good point :).

I've spent a lot of time as well, but doing so has taught me a lot about Myth,
and Linux in general.

It's kind of like buying a Heathkit TV set back in the day, you spent a TON of
time, but the result was a better set, and a great understanding of how it
worked.

Just depends on what you want, an idiot-proof machine or some great learning
and a better machine.

Of course us retirees have more time to spend than most working folks.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org