[mythtv-users] HDCP Key out?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 15 18:01:16 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 15 September 2010 10:22:07 R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 09/14/2010 04:56 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> >>      Too late.
> >>
> >>      I already have a copy of the crappy software in question. That's
> >> why I'm so willing to stand up and declare that using Windows 7 MCE is a
> >> fate much worse than having to pay for it.
> >>
> >>      I could send you my copy but I am not sure I dislike you that much.
> >
> > Thank you, and most of the breakable things in my home also thank you.
> >
> > I must admit I own a machine that runs Vista, another OS for masochists.
> > I does just one thing: it runs the PlayON server and nothing else (that I
> > know about). The machine is banished to the garage.
> >
> > Though I have to admit that it does what I want it to do, without too
> > much trouble. I bother with it only to install the multiple weekly
> > Microsoft "fixes", none of which have made any improvement.
>
> And we now have you *admission* that you are insane! (As one definition
> of insanity, is doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a
> different result ;-)
>
> Of course, with myth we often seem to do the same thing over and
> over...but we DO get different results!

Hopefully the results get better each time. They do when I fool around with
Myth. There is the occasional glitch with upgrades, but in general each
release has been much better than its predecessor.

I have to keep upgrading Vista, MS tells me emphatically that "my computer
might be at risk" if I don't :-)

Of course "your computer might be at risk" is a true statement under just
about any circumstances (the exception being if it's turned off and located
in an abandoned salt mine, but I suppose there are risks even then).

The real problem is most people buy into the "might be at risk" line, I've
seen perfectly sane people start pulling out their credit card for the most
obvious scams trying to sell bogus "security" software.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org