[mythtv-users] OT: Google - big brother? or I going mad?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 13:34:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Jeff Jensen <jjensen at apache.org> wrote:

> Of course, but Myth voluteers aren't snooping on my stuff (well, that I'm
> aware of anyways ;-).

Since it doesn't need to send data over the network there isn't much to
worry about. If you're paranoid enough you can check the source for
backdoors and compile yourself (if you're that paranoid you shouldn't trust
a binary from someone else).

> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/09/15/124230/Google-Engineer-Spied-On-Teen-Users

But this could happen with any company or individual who has access to your
network transmissions, including your ISP. Microsoft can read your hotmail
account, Skype can listen in on your calls, etc. Your ISP actually has the
best access to your online presense. Personally I don't think there is much
reason to single out Google.

As for Google doing statistical analysis on email in order to present ads, I
don't see how that is any different to ISPs doing statistical analysis on
email in order to determine if it's spam.

Cheers,
Steve