[mythtv-users] xorg.conf for fx5200

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 01:20:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 8:02 PM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
>>> yum update kernel
>
> Enabled the fedora repos, updated the kernel, rebooted.
>
>>> yum install kmod-nvidia-173xx*
>
> I decided to update instead of removing anything.
>
> I then rebooted, and was able to fully update the system.
>
>> Regarding the script I pointed you to. You do not need to run that
>
> Thanks, I won't run it then.
>
>> script. It contains lines which populate the /etc/ld.so.conf file.
>> You should have those lines in your file.
>> If not, cut and paste a copy of those 10 or 12 lines into a file and run
>> them, or just use them as a basis for editing your file.
>
>> That is,you are learning all sorts of stuff you had no idea you would
>> need to learn. And to be sure, it really is unclear why this has
>> happened at all!
>
> Well, learning about myth at least and that's what I will walk away from this with. A lot of notes on procedures for rebuilding if/when something goes wrong once it's all up the running :).
>
> I have to admit, I am on many mailing lists and this is pretty much the only one where users are in fact VERY helpful to each other without getting into personal attacks. I don't know how this list has achieved this but it is to be commended.

Yeah, it is my favorite list for the same reason.

> Once the system is done updating, I'll take a look at the nvidia drivers again as even after this reboot, no video is showing up on the TV yet.

Your /var/log/Xorg.log.0 should have entries for every output the
nvidia module sees and tell you what they are.  That's the fastest way
to see what output can be used.  If nvidia-settings still tells you
that you're not running the nvidia module, there may be a fedora
package like "nvidia-common" or something that's installed that
provides that..  Something like yum whatprovides nvidia-settings might
tell you.  That version of nvidia-settings may be too new for that
legacy module..  You may have to find an older one somewhere.  Or may
need to run nvidia-xconfig --no-composite as well??