[mythtv-users] xorg.conf for fx5200

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 02:04:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 8:41 PM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
> Strange, in the GUI, that update ended up taking the nvidia x server settings app from Applications/System tools and moving it to System/Administration. Either way, firing that up still says the x driver isn't loaded. It's telling me to run nvidia-xconfig which I'll do.
>
> However, before doing this update, the other nvidia app was at least showing a number of settings, so, running.
>
> Every time, after running it, rebooting or restarting x, nothing changes.
>
> I also see the Livna config tool in System/Administration which seems to have similar info. Why two?
>
> I also notice;
>
> [root at my10 ~]# more /etc/ld.so.conf
> include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
>
>>Your /var/log/Xorg.log.0 should have entries for every output the
>>nvidia module sees and tell you what they are.  That's the fastest way
>
> I don't see anything too relevant, no obvious errors at least. Here's some of that log.
>
>>If nvidia-settings still tells you that you're not running the nvidia module, there may be a
>>fedora package like "nvidia-common" or something that's installed that
>>provides that..  Something like yum whatprovides nvidia-settings might
>
> [root at my10 ~]# yum whatprovides nvidia-settings
> Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
> nvidia-settings-1.0-3.4.fc12.i686 : Configure the NVIDIA graphics driver
> Repo        : mythdora
> Matched from:
>
> nvidia-settings-1.0-5.fc12.i686 : Configure the NVIDIA graphics driver
> Repo        : rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
> Matched from:
>
> nvidia-settings-1.0-4.fc12.i686 : Configure the NVIDIA graphics driver
> Repo        : rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
> Matched from:
>
> nvidia-settings-1.0-5.fc12.i686 : Configure the NVIDIA graphics driver
> Repo        : installed
> Matched from:
> Other       : Provides-match: nvidia-settings
>
>>That version of nvidia-settings may be too new for that
>>legacy module..  You may have to find an older one somewhere.  Or may
>>need to run nvidia-xconfig --no-composite as well??
>
> I'm at the point where perhaps it's time to buy another card since nothing seems to work and I'm wasting everyone's time.

Before you go that far, run "nvidia-xconfig --no-composite", and
restart X "/etc/init.d/gdm restart" (or close - I do not have
fedora)..  Will be gdm or gdm-something..

After that, try nvidia-settings..  I still no go, paste your
/var/log/Xorg.log.0 somewhere we can look at it..  Then you may need
to go get another card  :)

-Greg