[mythtv-users] xorg.conf for fx5200

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Sep 17 03:23:03 UTC 2010

On 09/16/2010 09:02 PM, mike at grounded.net wrote:
>>>   yum update kernel
>
> Enabled the fedora repos, updated the kernel, rebooted.
>
>>>   yum install kmod-nvidia-173xx*
>
> I decided to update instead of removing anything.
>
> I then rebooted, and was able to fully update the system.
>
>>   Regarding the script I pointed you to. You do not need to run that
>
> Thanks, I won't run it then.
>
>>   script. It contains lines which populate the /etc/ld.so.conf file.
>>   You should have those lines in your file.
>>   If not, cut and paste a copy of those 10 or 12 lines into a file and run
>>   them, or just use them as a basis for editing your file.
>
>>   That is,you are learning all sorts of stuff you had no idea you would
>>   need to learn. And to be sure, it really is unclear why this has
>>   happened at all!
>
> Well, learning about myth at least and that's what I will walk away from this with. A lot of notes on procedures for rebuilding if/when something goes wrong once it's all up the running :).
>
> I have to admit, I am on many mailing lists and this is pretty much the only one where users are in fact VERY helpful to each other without getting into personal attacks. I don't know how this list has achieved this but it is to be commended.
>
> Once the system is done updating, I'll take a look at the nvidia drivers again as even after this reboot, no video is showing up on the TV yet.
>
> Mike

Do this for us:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep nvidia

That should give a number of lines including one something like "Load
Module nvidia_drv.so

Then try an (we've been *here* before!):

ls -al /usr/lib/libnvidia*

These should confirm that you are using the nvidia 173 series driver.

Then try nvidia-xconfig to see if it comes up.

I presume that you are presently getting output on a monitor, NOT the
TV. The TV not showing anything is an entirely different situation.

For the moment, let it alone.
There are a number of pages on the wiki about getting TV out, and you
should also check out the documents at /usr/share/docs/NVIDIA_GLX which
calls itself a 'README' but is in fact a massive tome with everything
you need to know about using the driver.

There is a chapter about TV out.
Wait until you have your mythbox working with all inputs and outputs
correct, to the monitor and then, and only then, get TV out working. You
cannot expect to get TV out working when you have no output!

And thanks for the compliment: we are a pretty civilized bunch,

And BTW there is no moderator on this list. WYSIWYP.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury