[mythtv-users] "Error opening jump program file" from Client machines with Live TV

Anthony Rooney rooneyo at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 17 11:17:39 UTC 2010

I get the "Error opening jump program file" when I try to run Live TV to
connect to the backend system which has the tuner attached.  If I go to the
Backend system and run the front end application and connect to a known good
channel it all works fine and I can change channels OK.  If I go to one of
either of the other client systems on the network I briefly see the channel
information for half a second before getting the "Error opening jump program
file".  I was previously able to connect every time using Live TV to the
backend system until I installed Shepherd EPG software with Australia XMLTV.
This software is running fine but may have stuffed my client server
functionality.

What on earth does this error "Error opening jump program file" mean and why
is it so debilitating to completely stop both client machines which
previously worked fine from ever running Live TV.  I cannot get any advice
or assistance to troubleshoot this error yet it has completely broken the
client server functionality.  This is a widely reported issue which the
MythTv experts have little to suggest to troubleshoot.

I have had feedback that " MythTV cannot read from the file that contains
the video" & "That's it is more likely a socket-related issue that's causing
the frontend to fail to read the recording data"  but I am trying to run
Live TV not read an existing  recording.  I'm unaware how the network client
runs Live TV;  does it stream video over the wire or read data from the
backend server HD or from memory on the backend system?  I tried to report
it as a bug on the bug channel but some "Expert" told me to go away and that
I need to log on this forum.  How can this not be a bug I ask?  I am doing
nothing except trying to use the software as designed so where is the
assistance and suggestions to troubleshoot?  How can you be so divorced from
the users that you are designing a system for?

I am curious how my system could develop a "socket issue" across a network
that previously worked fine.  I presume something has changed within the
backend system as it is unlikely that BOTH client machines changed
simultaneously.  Please advice me where I sould begin to look for errors?
What config setting might be out?

I'm curious why those who developed MythTv could have such rigid bug
reporting rules that are not able to see the solution from the perspective
of the end user trying to get the solution to work according to its
specifications.

I would suggest such a catastrophic error needs to be addressed and I await
some suggestions.

Regards

Anthony