[mythtv-users] xorg.conf for fx5200

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Sep 17 14:40:50 UTC 2010

On 09/16/2010 11:35 PM, mike at grounded.net wrote:
>>   Do this for us:
>
> Sure, no problem running what ever anyone wants if this is of interest for development or what not.
> Even if I go with a new card, I can keep the machine intact until it comes in.
>
>>   cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep nvidia
>

> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> (II) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select"
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "nvidia-auto-select"

Good: this tells us that you are using the nvidia driver with output
auto-selected. No errors reported so Xorg is happy.

> # ls -al /usr/lib/libnvidia*
> ls: cannot access /usr/lib/libnvidia*: No such file or directory

Arrgh!...Late at night brain fade. I meant to ask you to do:

ls -al /usr/lib/*nvidia*

You should see something like this (unless the legacy drivers do really
weird stuff!):

[root at tor1 lib]# ls -al /usr/lib/*idia*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       23 2010-09-14 16:59
/usr/lib/libnvidia-compiler.so -> libnvidia-compiler.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       28 2010-09-14 16:59
/usr/lib/libnvidia-compiler.so.1 -> libnvidia-compiler.so.256.53

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16090348 2010-09-14 16:59
/usr/lib/libnvidia-compiler.so.256.53
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 22139444 2010-09-14 16:59
/usr/lib/libnvidia-glcore.so.256.53
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     4336 2010-09-14 16:59
/usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.256.53
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       31 2010-09-14 16:59
/usr/lib/libvdpau_nvidia.so -> vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.256.53

>>   These should confirm that you are using the nvidia 173 series driver.
>>   Then try nvidia-xconfig to see if it comes up.
>
> # nvidia-xconfig
>
> Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
> Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
> New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

Well *that* shows things are working. That would not run at all with a
broken setup.

SUCCESS!

>>   I presume that you are presently getting output on a monitor, NOT the
>>   TV. The TV not showing anything is an entirely different situation.
>
> The server is in my server room and the TV output is connected to a modulator which I tune into when testing for output.
> In the server room, the server is connected to a KVM switch. The fx5200 has both VGA and TV out.
>
>>   For the moment, let it alone.
>>   There are a number of pages on the wiki about getting TV out, and you
>>   should also check out the documents at /usr/share/docs/NVIDIA_GLX which
>>   calls itself a 'README' but is in fact a massive tome with everything
>>   you need to know about using the driver.
>
> I figure if I can't get this working with all of the input I've gotten on this list, it's not worth spending much more time on it.
>
>>   There is a chapter about TV out.
>>   Wait until you have your mythbox working with all inputs and outputs
>>   correct, to the monitor and then, and only then, get TV out working. You
>>   cannot expect to get TV out working when you have no output!
>
> Do you this one?
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/NVidiaProprietaryDriver

No I meant this one:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.27/README/index.html

There is a copy installed in /usr/share/docs/NVIDIA_GLX.... with a sub
directory html, with the same content as the URL above.
You want to read Chapter 16.

Note that that chapter deals with direct tv out, not output through a
modulator. Modulators usually use the VGA output. In your case, I
presume that the modulator is actually being used to change the type of
connection...from whatever to coax(?).

You need to make changes to xorg.conf to tell the driver which type of
screen it is talking to, etc. and you might then be able to ditch the
modulator.

But if your output is reasonable, you could just as easily continue to
use what you have.

> The server seems to work in every other way so doesn't that make it time to get TV out? I mean, I do have monitor out and it does record programs on my ATSC card, etc.

YES! It is now time to get to work on TV out. Since you had never said
so, I had presumed you were using a monitor directly, not the TV out.

>>   And thanks for the compliment: we are a pretty civilized bunch,
>>   And BTW there is no moderator on this list. WYSIWYP.
>
> There aren't many lists which are as civilized as this one. I'm really impressed that people can voice their opinions on things without the usual personal attacks that usually follow after a while.

Thanks again.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury