[mythtv-users] SSDs and Myth frontends ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 17 20:27:37 UTC 2010

On Friday, September 17, 2010 12:23:06 pm Simon Hobson wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> >BTW - cloning a drive to a smaller one is not as simple as moving to
> >a larger drive. I suspect that as more people move to
> >SSDs, which will tend to be smaller than the source drives, this
> >problem will become more obvious. The simple DD approach
> >causes problems with the partition table sizes, not a problem when
> >moving to a larger drive, just resize them after the DD
> >copy, but that won't work in the move to a smaller drive. It can be
> >done, but is more complicated.
>
> Personally, and it **is** a matter of personal preference, I'd not
> normally* consider using dd to clone a disk.
> I'd partition the drive (taking the opportunity to adjust the sizes),
> make new filesystems, and then copy the files.
>

> * There are exceptions, like when the disk is in some proprietary
> format as in my colour laser printer.

The nice thing about DDing an entire disk is that *everything*, including the MBR and any partition tables get copied, all
in one operation. This can be either a good thing or a bad thing of course.

Of course you can DD a partition, instead of the entire disk, and you can copy the MBR by just DDing with a BS of 466.