[mythtv-users] SSDs and Myth frontends ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 17 20:59:44 UTC 2010

On Friday, September 17, 2010 02:44:51 pm Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > The nice thing about DDing an entire disk is that *everything*, including
> > the MBR and any partition tables
>
> ...and all free blocks, and fragmented files stay fragmented in just
> as many pieces as on the original file system.

True, but if moving to an SSD fragmentation really shouldn't matter much, if at all.

> dd is really my method of last resort for moving a filesystem.  Pretty
> much anything else (tar, cp -a, rsync) will get the job done faster
> and you'll end up with a better result.

"Faster" can mean different things. DD might "take longer", but I can start it and walk away and do something else. Most
other methods require far more time at the console, even if faster in the long run, especially if you have many
partitions.

CloneZilla is a nice system, but it will refuse to move to a smaller device, which makes sense.