[mythtv-users] Just got back to a Myth box

Stephen Atkins satkins at inetdesign.org
Sat Sep 18 02:16:37 UTC 2010

On 9/17/2010 7:33 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Stephen Atkins <satkins at inetdesign.org
> <mailto:satkins at inetdesign.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone.  Well after a year dealing with Tivo I've decided my
>     wife isn't the ruler of the house and we're going back to a Myth
>     box! BTW yes I am sleeping with one eye open now:)
>
>     I've been trying to find some info on these atom processors and how
>     well they might work with myth to do both a front and back end.  I
>     currently have a Asus AT3N7A-I which is a Atom 330 1.6Ghz dual core
>     with nVidia Ion graphics.
>
>     I can receive three OTA HD channels and a few old school SD channels
>     (I'm in Canada).  So I'm just wondering if this thing can handle it
>     or am I going to need some more power?  If it can does anyone have
>     some settings that would optimize it?
>

> An ion box will certainly play back pretty well anything you throw at
> it, providing you are comfortable running the nvidia drivers.
>
> Use as a backend depends on your usage case. recording digital tv will
> be fine. transcoding and  comm flagging will not be as fast as a more
> powerful processor.

Thanks for the reply.  I kinda thought it should be powerful enough to
do at least play back.  Still a little concerned about recording and
playback at the same time either live it or record one and watch
another.  I did install the nvidia drivers but haven't really got much
farther then that.  Are there any settings I should be looking at?  I
forgot to mention my capture card currently is a Hauppauge HVR-950Q.

Stephen