[mythtv-users] Just got back to a Myth box

Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Sep 18 06:09:34 UTC 2010

Sent from my iPhone

On 2010-09-17, at 21:33, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Stephen Atkins <satkins at inetdesign.org
> > wrote:
> Hello everyone.  Well after a year dealing with Tivo I've decided my
> wife isn't the ruler of the house and we're going back to a Myth
> box! BTW yes I am sleeping with one eye open now:)
>
> I've been trying to find some info on these atom processors and how
> well they might work with myth to do both a front and back end.  I
> currently have a Asus AT3N7A-I which is a Atom 330 1.6Ghz dual core
> with nVidia Ion graphics.
>
> I can receive three OTA HD channels and a few old school SD channels
> (I'm in Canada).  So I'm just wondering if this thing can handle it
> or am I going to need some more power?  If it can does anyone have
> some settings that would optimize it?
>

> An ion box will certainly play back pretty well anything you throw
> at it, providing you are comfortable running the nvidia drivers.
>
> Use as a backend depends on your usage case. recording digital tv
> will be fine. transcoding and  comm flagging will not be as fast as
> a more powerful processor.

So long as you record the analog feed with a tuner which does hardware
encoding (PVR-500 or HVR-1950) it should be fine. I bought a Zotac ION
board and it slurped up 2 hdhr feeds and an HVR 950 USB without
problems. Played back OTA HD like a charm.
It is now the trixbox server at the office! Doesthat well too.
So it comes down to the tuners. If your board has a pci slot you could
go for a pvr 150/250/500 if you can find one. Otherwise best choice at
the moment appears to be the HVR1950 using USB . A friend has just set
up a mythbox and had no problems getting it working with mythbuntu.
Drivers appear to be good.
Good luck.
Geoff