[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - Intel confirm HDCP is cracked

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Sep 18 08:31:43 UTC 2010

Brian J. Murrell wrote:

>This key does not really have a terrible amount of practical use in
>terms of putting your Blu-Ray content onto your computer since what you
>are getting as a result of this key is completely raw, unencrypted
>video.  That means up to 1920x1080x(24 usually, but could be 60)*
>$color_depth where $color_depth might be what, 12 (as a guess -- surely
>somebody here knows)?  That's a lot of data to have to accept in
>real-time and either store or encode.

On the other hand, what it does mean is that someone could make an
HDMI input card (much like we have analogue input cards). The card as
sold might not have a key (and hence not support HDCP), but if the
chipset supports loading a key into it ...

Whether that will happen or not is a different matter, but if it
does, then it means that no-one should be stuck from using their HD
feeds from (eg) satellite or cable for want of analogue outputs on
the box.

Since from the bits I've picked up from various threads here it seems
the cable companies over in the US seem to be heading down a path of
'protecting' more and more, and offering boxes with less and less
output options, that could be a significant development if it happens.

Yes it's a high bit rate to handle, but there is already the HDPVR
(?) that will encode analogue HD - but that's only usable if you can
get HD in analogue form. The next obvious step is either an
HDMI-analogue adapter to 'de-protect' pretected HDMI outputs for use
with this, or a newer version that takes HDMI instead of analogue.

So perhaps not as significant as some people think, but a step in the
right direction. And since the industry would not get away with
obsoleting everyones existing (and new) kit overnight, I think it's
going to be hard for them to work around.

Now, if someone works out the AACS master key ... or did they already do that ?

--
Simon Hobson