[mythtv-users] WD TV Live + MythTv Upnp problem (with solution)

Jannik Sost jannik.sost at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 11:12:13 UTC 2010

Hello MythTV users!

I'm posting this, because I think it might help other WD TV Live and MythTV
users with the same problem.

I'm using MythTV 0.23.1 from debian-multimedia on Debian squeeze and german
DVB-T with DVB-T-EPG-data.

First, the problem:
Some recorded shows don't start to play on my WD TV Live via Upnp, although
they are listed correctly. The WD device doesn't even request the recording,
the DMARender on the WD TV just prints this debug message:
"UpnpDispatch_MediaRenderer_AVTransport_SetAVTransportURI:2587:
CurrentURIMetaDate element had too large value"

The weird thing is, that recordings from tv-station's like ARD,ZDF,ARTE etc
are playing fine (public service TV), the private channels like RTL,Pro7
etc. didn't work. The former usually have a subtitle in their EPG data, the
latter don't. When MythTV builds the mediamap for the recordings tree, it
sets the title to "Title: Subtile" OR "Title: Description" if no subtitle is
available. The leads to the long Metadata element that the WD complains
about.

My quick and dirty solution (I don't really know how to use diff :) ):
In file: mythtv-0.23.1/programs/mythbackend/upnpcdstv.cpp replace:
line 276:
QString sName = sTitle + ": " + (sSubtitle.isEmpty() ? sDescription :
sSubtitle);
with this:
QString sName = sTitle + ": " + (sSubtitle.isEmpty() ? "" : sSubtitle);

Quick and dirty because if there's no description you can't distinguish two
recordings with the same title. It would be better to truncate the
description to a certain length...

I don't know if this is a MythTV bug. Don't know if there's a limit for
element length in the Upnp specification. It might also be the device's
fault, but it's probably easier to make MythTv compatible.

Best regards