[mythtv-users] xorg.conf for fx5200

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Sep 18 22:05:39 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: <mike at grounded.net>
To: "mythtv-users" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 11:43 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] xorg.conf for fx5200

>> If you are now going to change video cards you should step up to one
> which will do vdpau. A 9500 or GT220 would be great. I have a 9500
> fanless and it is awesome.

A new 8400 or 9500 can be got on PCI and should be fine for you.

There are a lot of posts on this topic now suggesting to me there is not a lot of searching of the list (using gossamer threads) or
suppliers going on.  Much of what is being asked has been recently answered, for example read up on jessica's recent experiences and
list help.

Providing good questions is a pre-requisite for good answers.  Brand names and model numbers are list friendly and help people help
you, generalities such as CPU size do not help anyone give you focussed information.  I did look thru most of the posts and cannot
find the nodel number of the current board and it seems that it (probably) has a good number of slots.  Quite likely it will be
fine, but how could anyone tell???  (guess)

I am surprised you cannot get a 5200 going, mythbuntu is pretty well setup and user friendly, I'd try that before investing in
another card, unless you want SD and HD now, then get a new card - and still use mythbuntu!

>I hear you, and you're right, I don't want to get into another old card. Thing is, when I started this, I wanted to get it working
>using what I had handy but it's already cost me way more than I wanted to pay.

>Let's see, $400.00 for the motherboard/CPU/Heatsing/Memory/case I had to buy to free up some hardware to build this.
Then one ATSC, one DVB-S2, plus I just ordered two pvr500 cards and now I'm going to get a video card.
And, I've not even been able to use mythtv yet to even know if it's what I'm after.

Try a clean mythbuntu install with the 5200!  If you can't get that going, I'm not sure you're going to do any better with a new
card.

>Yes, I'd love to get the latest but I only have an AGP slot in the machine I've put together. If I get anything else, it means I'll
>have to buy yet more hardware so, which card could I go with, for now, that's AGP and very compatible?

Just use a PCI slot / card, unlikely to need to anything else for mythtv purposes.  Do you want to do anything else with the
machines, it seems not.  In that case PCI is perfectly adequate.

>I need at least composite but if that's all it did, that would also be a waste of money since I'm recording plenty of HD on ATSC. I
>do have an extron scaler I've used to output PC onto projector which does an incredible job but that would still not give me full
>HD. If the card has an HDMI port, could I use that to output HD or if it had a DVI port, that would simply connect into my DVI
>switch.

>So many decisions :)

So many answers readily available to search tools.....

How good will it be when you do get a picture working???