[mythtv-users] Getting started questions

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 22:33:18 UTC 2010

Let me throw this out there.  If you are looking to reduce the cable

> bill adding an antenna and a HDHR for your locals may be a good idea:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun
>
> You can most likely get away with a HDHR and a HDPVR and be able to
> record just about anything.
>
> Wifi should work for SD, but keep in mind you will need to record both
> HD and SD recordings then.  It would be much easier to just record HD
> and wire up everything.
>

> Let me second that suggestion.  As long as you are close enough to your
transmitters OTA is a much cheaper way to go.  I have an HDHR and an
HVR-1800 for OTA and an STB and HD-PVR for HD cable.  This gives me the
ability to record 3 simultaneous OTA (not including multirec) programs and
one HD cable channel.  The HD cable channels tend to rebroadcast their
programs multiple times during the week so I never miss recording a program
I want to watch. I do use a roof-top antenna (cost < $100) and gives me the
added bonus of recording programs when Mediacom goes down. I already had the
HVR-1800, but if I had it to do over again, I'd get two HDHRs.

-- Ken E.