[mythtv-users] xorg.conf for fx5200

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Sat Sep 18 22:43:54 UTC 2010

> A new 8400 or 9500 can be got on PCI and should be fine for you.

I'm looking at various things at this point and this sounds possible also, thanks.

> There are a lot of posts on this topic now suggesting to me there is not a
> lot of searching of the list (using gossamer threads) or
> suppliers going on.  Much of what is being asked has been recently
> answered, for example read up on jessica's recent experiences and
> list help.

What you might not realized is that after years of archiving by search engines, forums, blogs, text files, etc, a LOT of information become unreliable over time. As I've said many times, I keep finding tons of information but it's never clear if it is a current, working solution. I would have simply given up by now had it not been for the help from this thread because searching leads me to countless things I could have tried and would have gotten nowhere. Even the folks in this thread at at odds now and then that something works or not. I suspect more and more people will no longer trust search results because of these reasons and live responses will become much more valuable.

> I did look thru most of the posts and cannot
> find the nodel number of the current board and it seems that it (probably)
> has a good number of slots.  Quite likely it will be
> fine, but how could anyone tell???  (guess)

No one asked so I didn't think to add that. I can post that if you'd like. It's probably a pretty old board at this point.

> Try a clean mythbuntu install with the 5200!  If you can't get that going,
> I'm not sure you're going to do any better with a new
> card.

That was one of the first problems I had. I downloaded three distros and only the mythdora one would install on either of the systems I've tried. Besides, I am more familiar with RHEL/CENTOS and fedora comes closest to those. I wish it would install, it would be nice to see the card working finally. Then again, for all I know, maybe the card itself has a problem.

> Just use a PCI slot / card, unlikely to need to anything else for mythtv
> purposes.

I'll take a look as I believe I have some PCI TV out cards, just not sure they will be of any use.

>Do you want to do anything else with the
> machines, it seems not.  In that case PCI is perfectly adequate.

Anything else, as in, using it as a PC or something? No, it'll be dedicated to myth.

> So many answers readily available to search tools.....

As I've said, I have been reading, and reading, and reading and have found tons of information. In fact, most of the info I've found says that the fx5200 was/is the perfect card for myth, yet, as you've seen in this thread, haven't worked for me.

> How good will it be when you do get a picture working???

Once I get a machine up, running, get a little hands on time with myth, then, I'll be happy to invest more into it. Right now, I've already spent a bunch of money, don't have a box with TV out yet so need more hands on experience in using it to know how much I'll spend.