[mythtv-users] OT: netboot is extremely slow to boot

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 14:46:43 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:

>> at this point I think I might just
>> abandon the netbooting.
>
> My current mobo doesn't do PXE, so I loaded up PXELinux, my kernel,
> and an initrd on a spare USB stick (only needs to be a few MB). From
> there it mounts the rootfs on NFS exactly as I did with PXE, so it's
> "almost" diskless.

Well I gave up, I was planning to use the system as a slave backend
anyways, so it was goiing to have a drive in it anyways. It would have
been nice though to have the extra space, however small. And I
wouldn't have needed to wipe out my current install (I was moving from
9.04 to 10.04 in the process). Anyways, thanks for your help, you at
least got me looking in some different places for the problem, even if
there was no success in the end. After several hours of setup I think
I've got everything moved around and set up the way I like.
--Justin