[mythtv-users] OT: netboot is extremely slow to boot

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 15:02:48 UTC 2010

Tftp as opposed to ftp is
A) very simple to implement
B) very slow to transfer large amounts of data.

I have thought about netbooting but currently I am very happy with the
compact flash card booting I am currently using.

I have never used netbooting but I use tftp for transfer of firmware files
on ip phones at work and they are (relatively) slow to transfer...

A netboot image assuming it is all transferred via tftp is going to be slow,
and I believe many tftp server only handle a single transfer at a time... so
the more clients booting the slower it gets.

Tftp is fairly trivial to implement though and hence often used in firmware
bootloaders.

On 19 Sep 2010 15:47, "Justin Johnson" <justin.johnson3 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
Well I gave up, I was planning to use the system as a slave backend
anyways, so it was goiing to have a drive in it anyways. It would have
been nice though to have the extra space, however small. And I
wouldn't have needed to wipe out my current install (I was moving from
9.04 to 10.04 in the process). Anyways, thanks for your help, you at
least got me looking in some different places for the problem, even if
there was no success in the end. After several hours of setup I think
I've got everything moved around and set up the way I like.
--Justin

ht...