[mythtv-users] How to drop content between flagged commercials from video files?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Sep 19 15:51:08 UTC 2010

  On 9/19/2010 11:44, Dave Richardson wrote:
> If a recorded program is comm-flagged correctly, is there another
> job/option that would be able to "shrink" the media file itself by dropping
> the content between the flags (leaving just the "show")?
>
> I want to be able to save some NFL broadcasts from this season.  At 3+ hrs
> of HD content per game, those are large files.  It would be REALLY nice to
> save ~30% of the disk space per game by physically discarding the
> commercials from the video files.

See the following page on the wiki:

http://mythtv.org/wiki/Removing_Commercials

You want to go into 'edit' mode while watching the recording, load, and
confirm or revise the automatic commercial detection.  Go into one of
the transcoding profiles, and check off 'Lossless transcoding'.  Then
use that profile to transcode the job.