[mythtv-users] Getting started questions

Joel Newcomb joelnewcomb at verizon.net
Sun Sep 19 16:30:01 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-18 at 10:35 -0700, Ken Cheney wrote:
> This is my first venture into building my own DVR and I have a billion
> questions.  I have worked some of them out by reading through some of
> the archived messages, but I am hoping that if I offer my current
> state, and the desired outcome, someone can tell me what makes the
> most sense.
>

> THanks to all!

Ken, part of the confusion for a new MythTV user is the many options
available. While all of the systems mentioned will suit your needs, you
may want to start off spartan and add from there. As your understanding
grows more components can be utilized. This keeps initial investment
lower and builds the all important WAF.
Consider the basic FE/BE with a bit of horsepower living next to your
HDTV. If your location permits (good OTA), I highly recommend the
HD-Homerun. Placed in the attic close to antenna or inline with FIOS
cable,hardwired Ethernet between these will give spectacular results.
This basic setup will probably make you drop the FIOS DVR once you
realize Myth's abilities. If OTA is not a option, the HDPVR will enable
you to record from your HD box when not being used for normal cable
viewing.
My experience with MythTV has been my first exposer using Linux. While
it was a steep learning curve, all my TV viewing is done through the
Myth Box. BE machine in garage cabinet with the HDPVR from FIOS HD box
and HD-Homerun in attic OTA, gives me three HD tuners recording. Optical
out on FE allows my reciever to play back Internet streams and MP3
collections as well.
Hope this gives you more options.