[mythtv-users] OT: netboot is extremely slow to boot

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Sep 19 18:32:52 UTC 2010

Richard Morton wrote:
> Tftp as opposed to ftp is
> A) very simple to implement
> B) very slow to transfer large amounts of data.
>
> I have thought about netbooting but currently I am very happy with the
> compact flash card booting I am currently using.
>
> I have never used netbooting but I use tftp for transfer of firmware files
> on ip phones at work and they are (relatively) slow to transfer...
>
> A netboot image assuming it is all transferred via tftp is going to be slow,
> and I believe many tftp server only handle a single transfer at a time... so
> the more clients booting the slower it gets.
>
> Tftp is fairly trivial to implement though and hence often used in firmware
> bootloaders.

It's not that slow, and the amount of data isn't large where mythtv is
concerned. I run a PXE-netbooted minimyth installation and it boots in well
under a minute. I also run LTSP (old: 4.2) and I can get from power-on to a
login screen in 35 seconds on the thin client I am currently using.

You probably have something configured non-optimally.

--

Mike Perkins