[mythtv-users] Adding RTSP source to mythbackend

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Sep 19 18:47:25 UTC 2010

  On 9/19/2010 14:38, Mike Perkins wrote:

> Hmm. A 'pipe' tuner as described above might be a useful accessory
> function for mythtv. As well as following the Unix philosophy, it
> would permit users to handle those odd, obscure sources people
> occasionally mention on here by allowing handing-off to an external
> video collector program.
>
> Currently the only way I can see this requirement being handled is by
> using the loopback address and one of the stream plugins like
> mythnetvision.

MythNetvision is intended for on-demand content, something for which a
channel listing and scheduled recording make no sense for.  For the
purpose you describe, MythTV has a (fairly undocumented) Import
Recorder.  This can record from a specific file, or can trigger an event
which would subsequently run an external recorder program.