[mythtv-users] AT&T UVerse thoughts?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 00:18:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 17:36, John Lundell <jdlundell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:49 AM, blake <dsblakewatson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey, everybody--
>> I know some folks are using AT&T Uverse with MythTV. Anyone have any
>> reports? Good? Bad?
>> I'm thinking of switching.
>> Thanks!
>>    ===Blake===
>
> Hi,
> I have had U-verse for 8 months.  It was cheaper that DirecTV and looks
> better to me.  It is an IPTV system so you have to use their box.
>  Controlling it is not great with a blaster since it likes to put up
> messages every now and then which will not go away unless you hit OK.  Note,
> you always have to send an OK before sending the channel numbers since it
> may be in screen saver mode.  I would say I miss 2 or 3 recordings a week
> due to some problem with this or just a bad channel change.  I use an HD-PVR
> to do the capture and that works fine.
> Let me know if you have any other questions.

I have some questions.

U-Verse is IPTV (As you said), and uses the Motorola VIP1200 boxes
(IIRC). I know Sasktel does the same, and with Sasktel I can get my
Myth box to pretend to be one of the issued Set-Top boxes and tune
some (most) of the IPTV streams from the DSLAM. I was wondering if you
could take a look at what format the U-Verse system uses. If it's
simply a matter of getting the right handshake to emulate the U-Verse
box, it would be a big step forward in quality, compatibility and
ease-of-use.

To begin with, something like a WireShark capture of network traffic
when the box is plugged into the wall, and when surfing a few
channels, would be invaluable.

*mutter* it might also inspire someone to look into the "bind IPTV
Tuner to a single interface" bug/feature request I've had for a while
now */mutter*
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston