[mythtv-users] I'm obviously missing some detail about scheduling & priorities...

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Tue Sep 21 17:56:42 UTC 2010

On 09/21/2010 07:47 AM, David Engel wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 09:28:22PM -0700, Douglas Peale wrote:
>> short version: does naming channels on different sources the same
>> (channel number & call sign) cause the scheduler to think they are
>> all the same, ignoring different channel & input proprieties?
>
> Callsigns, yes; the rest, no.

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying here.
If I have a station, say KNTV on channel 11.1 available on 3 sources of different priority, and I give all three sources the
call sign KNTV, then MythTV will ignore the source priority for the three sources?
With this setup, it will also ignore channel priority if I try to set different channel priority for these channels in the
channel editor?
The only way to make these priorities work is to give different call signs for this station on the different sources?
So I must suffer duplicate listings in the mythweb listings if I want priorities to work?

>> I have lowered the priority of the OTA stations due to occasional
>> reception issues.  There was a recording before and after this
>> recording on different channels, but this show was rescheduled to a
>> later time, a week away, why?  The cable channels should have gotten
>
> Do you have the "Avoid back to back recordings from different
> channels" setting enabled.?

If I could find that setting in the menu I'd tell you. I just went through all the setup pages in both the back end and the
front end that looked relevant, and could not find it.
I just checked the MythTV Settings page in MythWeb, and the word "Avoid" is not on that page.
BTW I'm running 0.24 if that makes a difference.

>> a priority of zero, but the schedule said the recording priority was
>> that of the OTA channels.  Even with the low priority, with 5 tuners
>> there could have been no conflict for three shows.
>
> Please provide the relevant backend logs when running with "-v
> schedule".

I added this to the Backend start command on the Backend Control page of the General entry of Backend Setup. Is that the correct
place?

> David

an additional note. I found that the show in question had been added with a priority of -10. I had added this show by clicking
on the listing in mythweb. I certainly did not change the priority there, so I do not know how the priority got set to -10.