[mythtv-users] What determines whether the "Optical Disks" frontend menu appears?

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 19:56:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Wayne Thomas <waynethomas69 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM, George Poulson
> <george.poulson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for that Kevin.. I see how it works now.
>> I think what it's probably saying is that if you have *any* of
>> [mythmusic|mythvideo|mytharchive|mythburn] installed, then the CD menu item
>> will appear.
>> I have mythmusic installed on my Revo frontend but not on the Zotac, so
>> (even though I play my music from a network share) I get the [unwanted] CD
>> menu item on that machine.
>> Maybe the logic could be made a bit smarter to avoid this? (though I can't
>> immediately think how!)
>> Thanks!
>> George
>>

>>> The "Optical Disks" option in the default main menu relies on:
>>> mythmusic mythvideo mytharchive mythburn
>>> So most likely you do not have one of those plugins installed.
>>> Kevin
>>

> You could just manually edit /usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml
> Either comment it out or simply remove it altogether.  Problem solved.

A better method would be to copy mainmenu.xml to
~/.mythtv/mainmenu.xml and edit that version, it will override the
default when you run mythfrontend. I suspect that any changes made in
/usr... would be wiped out on an upgrade.
I love the way myth handles this, it lets me completely customize my
menus and not have to worry about the changes disappearing.

--Justin