[mythtv-users] Hauppauge Lirc setup and new mythtv install

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Sep 22 04:18:33 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Brian White <bjwhite at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> Jarod,
>
> FANTASTIC!  Thanks so much!   I removed the ir_kbd_i2c module, plopped the
> firmware in place and loaded the lirc_zilog.   The hardware was found and
> irw read the remote's buttons.   Mythtv is being a little problematic with
> lirc as of yet, but I'll get that figured out tomorrow.   I'm just thrilled
> the remote is being read (no need for blaster.)

Good deal, glad to hear it. :)

> I had no idea the zilog module was pre-installed with my kernel.  I just
> assumed I had to custom build it based on the pages I read.   Oh well --
> live and learn!

I've been patching the lirc drivers into the Fedora kernels for a few
years now. However, as of 2.6.36, they're finally all merged upstream,
so no more patching, woo! :)

Fedora 14 and Ubuntu 10.10 will both be shipping with 2.6.35.x-based
kernels, but I've backported the upstreamed lirc bits to 2.6.35, and
patched them into the F14 kernel myself, and talked to some Ubuntu
folks, and as I understand it, they've pulled my backports into the
Ubuntu 10.10 tree as well, so in both cases, no more out of tree
compiles required, for the most part (barring new hardware and/or
bugfixes).

> Thanks again.   You are such a huge asset to the mythtv community.

Flattery will get you everywhere. ;)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com