[mythtv-users] Import Recorder howto

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Sep 22 08:43:53 UTC 2010

Nigel Pearson wrote:
> Gert van der Knokke wrote:
>
>> I was hoping I could connect this to an external recorder like gnutv
>> (which can handle my firedtv+ca-module+smartcard whereas Mythbackend
>> only handles the unencrypted channels)
>
> That will be tricky, but yes it should be possible.
>
> You need something external (like a script) to either
> monitor the backend logs for a recording startup message,
> or to be invoked by the new Myth "System Events",
> to invoke gnutv and generate the recording file.

Aren't you in danger of some kind of "chicken and egg" situation here? If the
system event is triggered, and you rely on that to start the external recorder,
the intermediate file/pipe won't exist at that point and the whole thing will
collapse.

To get that to work I suspect you're going to have to do some fairly detailed
sequence analysis to make sure things happen in the right order.

--

Mike Perkins