[mythtv-users] Cam emulators and myth?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 09:27:39 UTC 2010

Steve Hodge wrote:

>>Also, there is a clause that makes it a criminal offense to bypass
>>any "technical protection mechanism", or to discuss how to bypass
>>such a mechanism, or to provide tools to do so. That still applies
>>even if the TPM is completely and utterly broken (like CSS on
>>DVDs), or even never worked in the first place.

>I understand the reasoning and won't argue against it. But, as you
>just mentioned, the same reasoning applies to DVDs (and Bluray) so
>why are those topics acceptable here?

Deja vu, here we come !
My guess is that because nearly everyone is interested in those
topics, including the US based developers, then that alters the
risk-reward balance in favour of allowing it. Not to mention that
there is a general perception of "what's the difference what DVD
player you use ?"
On the other hand, I suspect few US based developers are involved
with CAMs and similar ... And a general perception that anyone using
a CAM must be a pirate.

--
Simon Hobson