[mythtv-users] LIRC issue with latest Mythbuntu update

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 17:54:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Mark Weil <mark at martialfit.net> wrote:
>>You'll also need to make some changes so you don't have to do this manually
>> on every reboot, but
>>as this needs to run before the LIRC modules load I can't say what you'd
>> need to do on Mythbuntu to
>>achieve this.
>
> According to the mythtv wiki
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Serial_Lirc_Install
>
> ..."To ensure that lirc starts up correctly on reboot, add the appropriate
> setserial line (without the sudo) to the top of your hardware.conf file. "
>

> An old community doc from ubuntu has a different way of accomplishing this;
> I don't know if it's valid for the latest mythbuntu.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallLirc/Gutsy#Serial%20IR%20Transmitter

I upgraded to mythbuntu 10.04 (from 9.04) over the weekend and ran
into this. Luckily, I had tar'd my old system so I was able to hunt
down things that seemed to be different. I did as the community doc
suggested and added /etc/modprobe.d/lirc-serial.conf:

#COM1 equivalent, /dev/ttyS0
options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
#COM2 equivalent, /dev/ttyS1
#options lirc_serial irq=3 io=0x2f8

In addition, I have /etc/serial.conf:

/dev/ttyS0 uart none

I believe it's the latter which has the most effect, the former is
just to ensure that the lirc_serial module is looking at "COM1"

I also have LOAD_MODULES="true" in hardware.conf.

--Justin