[mythtv-users] Encoder disappears

barbex barbex at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 07:59:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Jos Hoekstra <joshoekstra at gmx.net> wrote:
> Sep 23 11:00:31 digitus kernel: [   19.297126] ivtv0: Registered device
> video1 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
>
> 2010-09-23 11:00:32.304 Channel(/dev/video1)::Open(): Can't open video
> device, error "Permission denied"
>
> It seems to me your backend user for some reason can not get acces to your
> video-device, probably a permission issue or something else is using the
> card.
>
> Do you have a webcam or something connected as well? Becasue by default your
> first capturecard will get /dev/video0.
> I guess relaxing permissions on the card to something like:
> ls -la /dev/video1
>
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81,  1 2010-09-15 02:19 /dev/video1
>
> and/or adding the backend user to the video group might solve this, have you
> ever made a recording from this device?

Oh, I never saw that! That must be the moment where mythtv realizes
that the Encoder has "walked away"! Have to check if anything happens
right before that timestamp.

Yes, I'm making recordings with device, if it doesn't "walk away" it
records just fine!

/dev/video0 is my other TV-card, so /dev/video1 is the correct device
for this card.

I have a look at the logs again. Thanks!