[mythtv-users] VLC replacement

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 24 14:20:23 UTC 2010

On 9/23/2010 4:37 PM, Tom Lichti wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Calvin Harrigan
> <charriglists at bellsouth.net>  wrote:
>> I'm looking for a replacement for VLC.  I've been using VLC for a while now,
>> completely configured and integrated into my system, lirc, the works.  I
>> find that it has become a little bit too picky when it comes to playing
>> certain files, no fast forwards, jumps back to the beginning on its own,
>> drops audio, all sorts of unsavories.  I've had mplayer and xine setup, but
>> the subtitling was not cutting it.  Are there any other players that could
>> be used with decent subtitling and lirc compatible?
>
> Have you tried the internal MythTV player? Although I can't speak to
> it's subtitle abilities, it works perfectly for me with a wide array
> of different formats.
>
> Tom

Tried the internal player last night.  Of the files those that did play,
they played great, subtitles as well. But many didn't play at all.  It
would go black and after few seconds pops back out to mythvideo's
interface.  But while fooling with it I noticed that an alternative
player can be defined, so for the time being, I have VLC as my default
player and mplayer as the alternative, if a video acts up, I quit and
restart with the alternative player and bear through the sucky subtitle
rendering of mplayer.